“To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” – Audrey Hepburn
The Valley Ridge Community Garden is a beautiful green oasis in our community. We welcome you to visit the garden, sit among the plants, and enjoy quiet time.
The community garden was built in 2012 by Valley Ridge residents to encourage novice and seasoned gardeners to grow plants, knowledge and friendships. The community garden consists of 32 raised garden boxes available for rent each year, a large herb plot, four corner benches with flower boxes and a raised stage which faces the west. The garden is located by the ice rink and main playground near Valley Meadow Close. The garden boxes rent for $35/season. To rent a box, a VRCA membership of $35 is also required.
The stage is available for use. Please contact the Music in the Garden Coordinator at email@example.com.
Please read the following important information and Garden Code of Conduct. Then rent a box using the Garden Registration button below.
Why Rent a Garden Box?
When you rent a community garden box, you gain:
- A dedicated garden box near your home
- The satisfaction of planting, nurturing, harvesting, and eating your own produce
- Learning great gardening tips from other Valley Ridge residents
- Having fun during garden work bees. We have lots of laughs as we shovel compost and pull weeds together!
Volunteering as a Garden Box Renter
Garden members are assigned certain volunteer responsibilities to ensure that the garden season goes smoothly for everyone. You will be asked for your preferences when registering. Here are some of the volunteer options available:
Organizing Committee roles
Valley Breeze writer
Flower box maintenance
Grounds weeder and garbage patrol
Herb box maintenance
Water barrels setup and takedown
Garden Code of Conduct
NOTE: By registering for a garden plot, I agree to the following code of conduct to help create enjoyable gardening for all.
- Maintain my garden box by properly seeding, planting, weeding, watering and harvesting.
- Use no synthetic chemical pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, or fertilizers.
- Follow composting and mulching guidelines provided by the Garden Committee.
- Acknowledge that the Garden Committee coordinates all garden box assignments. Therefore, I will not give use of my box to anyone,
- Remove weeds in common garden areas.
- Select and carry out a volunteer duty and participate in spring/fall work sessions.
- Undertake an assigned period, usually one week, of watering duties, in addition to my chosen volunteer job.
- Adhere and respond promptly to requests and communication from the Garden Committee.
- Absolve the Valley Ridge Community Garden and the Valley Ridge Community Association from any liability, financial or otherwise.
Become a “Friend of the Garden”
Not interested in renting a garden box, yet interested in gardening or taking part in some of the events? You can become a “friend” of the Valley Ridge Community Garden. Register your email at firstname.lastname@example.org and you will receive notices about gardening events (speakers, socials, work bees, gardening information, etc.).
Connect with other Calgary Community Gardens
The Calgary Horticultural Society supports community gardens in Calgary. Check their website to locate other gardens, learn about gardening presentations offered throughout the year, sign up for a community garden newsletter, and join in special events. .
Horticultural Society website: https://www.calhort.org/
Ready to rent a Garden Box?
Garden Registration opens February 6th, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.!
If the website will not let you register, it means all boxes are rented. Please email email@example.com to add your name to the wait list. Occasionally, boxes become available due to unforeseen circumstances.
Sign Up Today!
Click the registration button, then follow the prompts.
For liability and insurance purposes, you must have a valid annual VRCA MEMBERSHIP to rent a community garden box. If you need a VRCA membership, you will be given the option to purchase it in conjunction with the garden fee.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
Each household can rent ONE box to start with. This keeps it fair for all Valley Ridge residents. If you wish a second box, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the wait list. After registration is complete, we will then assign second boxes. Thank you.